TLDR: I struggled to get magenta js to do much. I created the most basic example of using the music VAE + the web midi api, separately. It uses the “mel_4bar_small_q” model which is “A 4-bar, 90-class onehot melody model. Less accurate, but smaller in size than full model. Quantized to 2-byte weights.”
I created a simple holder for an led matrix. I used some leftover cardboard to test out my design. I cut multiple pieces that had the void for the strip, and glued them together. I had a base to attach those to and I taped my leds in to see how it fit. It let me see multiple flaws in my design
We do not know how global warming will effect us, but we know our lives will change because of it. Either we do nothing and adapt to the new world, or change our lives to lessen the damage.
So we created Climate Twister – a game where two users play twister, selecting options in response to future scenarios, and get a prediction for the year 2100 in the end. The game uses 20 soft buttons connected to a laptop running a processing sketch. It was inspired by the research of Jerome Whitington, and his paper “Carbon as a Metric of the Human.”
Here are some details of the build:
Once we had settled on this idea, we did a number of user tests. We bought a twister board and overlaid some ‘options’ and invented content on the fly.
At a certain point we tried different methods for tracking users and displaying options, but they didn’t work out.
When it came time to fabricate, we ordered a vinyl banner which would be our game board, and bought foam and plywood. The plywood was taken down to 4’x6′ (the size of our banner), and we made a stencil of the banner so we could lay things out on the plywood.
We got to work laying out the copper pads, cutting wires to be the right lengths, gluing and soldering. We also attached copper tape to our vinyl banner (which would complete the circuit when pressed).
We cut holes into our foam, at first making them too small and then upping the size.
With everything together, we realized our wires were not going to be long enough. We bought electrician style screw terminals and cut a channel in the board for them to fit and extend the wires.
aaand the fabrication was done! The rest of the process was spent debugging the code and designing the interface.
To be updated with video…
End shot first (it doesn’t work most of the time, but sometimes it will when you jiggle it)
My three topics of interest for the final are environmental perception, social perception, and absurdism